Wednesday, February 19, 2014

How Did You Go To Study Abroad ? ไปเรียนเมืองนอกได้ยังไง

So many Thai students have asked me this question...
Guys, let's make it clear. I am NOT answering this question for 10000000000 more times
That is why I am writing this blog! I am also doing it in both Thai and English so I can be sure that all of you understand everything!
make it clear = ทำให้มันชัดเจน

น้องๆหลายคนมากๆๆๆๆถามคำถามนี้กับพี่ เช่นเคยคือชั้นตอบหลายครั้งหลายหนจนเหนื่อย เลยคิดจะเขียนบลอกและทำวิดิโอเพื่อตอบคำถามไปเลยทีเดียว จะอธิบายเป็นสองภาษาทั้งไทยและอังกฤษนะคะ จะได้มั่นใจว่าทุกคนอ่านเข้าใจ ถ้าน้องๆคนไหนอยากฝึกภาษาก็อ่านเฉพาะอังกฤษก็ได้จ้า

Basically, my study abroad journey can be divided into 3 event
1. When I was an AFS exchange student in Wisconsin, USA
2. When I came back for college in Iowa, USA
3. When I decided to study aboard-aboard in Copenhagen, Denmark

Here is a video that I explained everything to you in person!
I am also going to write a short summery of the video, so that you can practice your reading and comprehension skills! So watch the video later if you want to practice English!
explain (v.) = อธิบาย
summary (n.) = สรุป
Comprehension (n.) = ความเข้าใจ
practice (v.) = ฝึก



1. When I was an AFS exchange student in Wisconsin, USA

Like how most Thai HS students first go to the US, I was an exchange student in 2009-10 through AFS. I received a special scholarship called the Kennedy-Lugae Youth Exchange and Study (YES) program.  This scholarship is entirely free. IT started after 9/11 to build positive relationship between the US and other Muslim countries around the world!

During that year, I had a chance to visit my current college. My uncle recommended me to do so and my host mom was nice enough to drive me all the way from Wisconsin to Iowa. I decided to apply and I got in!

2. When I came back for college in Iowa, USA
So I came back to the US to get my undergrad education at a small liberal arts college in Iowa. I am now studying anthropology with a concentration on global development studies! I love what I am studying and hope that I will be able to go home to work in development field after I graduate!
'
Another frequently asked question is whether I came to America on my own or with a scholarship. I ahve to say that it's both. My college have this admission policy called 'need blind admission,' which means that they take a look at your profile and let you in regardless of your financial background. Once you are qualified to be their student then they will give you some kind of financial aid assistance. In my case, I received international grant, which basically is a 50% discount on my tuition. Additionally, I also got work study, which means that you work for the college and they will either pay you or you can the money straight to the school to pay for your tuition. Basically, some parts of my tuition is covered by the school, while parents and relatives take care of the rest.

อีกอย่างที่ถามกันเข้ามาเยอะมากๆ คือเรื่องของทุน ว่าพี่จ่ายเองหรือได้ทุนไปเรียน ขอตอบว่าทั้งสองอย่างค่ะ ทางมหาลัยของพี่มีนโยบายที่เรียกว่า 'need blind admission'   คือเค้าจะดูคุณสมบัติของเราก่อนว่าสมควรจะได้มาเรียนที่นี่ไหม ถ้าเค้ารับเราเป็นนักเรียนแล้วเค้าถึงจะมาดูว่าเรามีกำลังทรัพย์ที่จะเรียนอีกหรือเปล่า ซึ่งแน่นอนว่าในกรณีของพี่นั้นที่บ้านไม่ได้มีเงินเยอะ ที่ก็เลยได้เป็นทุน international grant จากทางมหาลัย มันจะคล้ายๆกับการลดค่าเทอมให้เหลือครึ่งนึง แต่ส่วนนึงก็คือพี่ต้องทำงานในมหาลัยด้วย แล้วก็จะเลือกได้ว่าเงินที่ได้นั้นจะเอาเข้ากระเป๋าตัวเองหรือโอนเข้าโรงเรียนเพื่อจ่ายค่าเทอมไปทีละนิด  สรุปก็คือได้ทุนจากทางมหาลัยส่วนหนึ่งแล้วที่เหลือคุณพ่อคุณแม่และญาติช่วยกันออกค่ะ

3. When I decided to study aboard-aboard in Copenhagen, Denmark

You can read more about this on my last blog!


by Zeem 
AFS#48 YES#4 ทุนมุสลิม USA
มาคุยกัน แชร์ความคิดเห็น และติดตามผลงานได้นะคะ
 
Facebook : Dek Thai Klai Baan เด็กไทยไกลบ้าน
Blog  http://dekthaiklaibaan.blogspot.com/
YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/user/dekthaiklaibaan

Email: dekthaiklaibaan@gmail.com
Line: dekthaiklaibaan

2 comments:

  1. ขอบคุณที่แบ่งปันความรู้ครับพี่

    ReplyDelete